Published on: March 29, 2022.
Self-Care: I Gotta Take Care of Me First!
Self-Care: What does it mean to you, committing, and setting an appointment with yourself.
Choosing yourself is not always an easy thing. Even in this age where we like to yell loud and proud about prioritizing YOU, it is still easier to put the needs of others above your own. Our society moves so fast, and idolizes the hustle, so naturally, things like living in the moment, stillness and balance are often bulldozered by productivity, hyperactivity, and constant progress. Newsflash: We are human beings that need air, water, rest, and time to refuel! So when these basic needs are left to the wayside, what is the result?
And a cycle of it, too. Let’s talk about what self-care means to you, the different forms it can take, and putting that To-Do list on pause.
Self-care: What does it mean to you?
Some people need noise, others need quiet.
Some need a social outlet, others, time alone.
Sometimes you need an early walk, brunch with the girls, and to run some errands to feel at peace again.
And sometimes you might need to be hibernate for a day, curled up on the couch, un-showered, with nobody to answer to but yourself.
Self-care can be:
- a luxurious bath with a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door (mama is not available right now!)
- a day spent with friends
- a long, drooly nap
- your favourite face masque
- exercise—maybe it’s a walk in your neighbourhood, or some jumping-jacks while watching reruns, or shovelling snow (if you’re into that sort of thing)
- reconnecting with your community, or charity
- cooking or baking
- making art or writing in a journal
- talking to your therapist
- finishing that book that’s been on your table for 3 months (Or 4. Or 8!)
- doing something with family
- watching movies
- getting a facial or pedicure (our favourite, obviously)
…or it’s a combination of things! Anything that makes you feel like you again.
If you needed to hear this today, here it is:
You are not a machine. You deserve to be cared for. You deserve to feel beautiful in any way that feels right to you. And you deserve some time in the day to be still, to reconnect with your mind and body, and reset.
If all you can manage is 15 minutes, do that. Then, maybe you’ll find 45 minutes in your schedule somewhere. Then maybe an hour. And maybe, all of a sudden, you start really valuing this time for yourself, so you begin to regularly carve out time dedicated to something just for you.
Next thing you know, you’re building a stronger relationship with yourself, reconnecting with your needs, and recognizing your limits.
How Does Frilly Lilly Factor In?
What’s the toughest part about practicing self-care? Actually committing to it. Right? That To-Do list floats back into your head, and pushes out what your mind, and your body really need.
Before you put others’ needs ahead of your own, we want you to ask yourself these questions:
- Does setting an appointment make you stick to the commitment you made to yourself?
- Does a pedicure (and foot massage, Ooh.) mean 60 minutes of quiet, calm, release, and being cared for by someone else for a change?
- Does a manicure give you a sense of refinement, of femininity, of polished elegance, and individuality?
- Does a bikini wax make you feel confident, sexy, powerful?
- Do these feelings empower you, put you back together again, and give you energy to affront the day?
- Does the experience, or results, of these esthetic services bring you joy, reassert your identity and confidence, help you reconnect with yourself (and others) or validate carving out time to just focus on you?
If any of these questions prompted a “yes!” then you’ll understand why the term “self-care” has become so entrenched in beauty. We are invested in making our clients feel beautiful—physically, and psychologically. We want to be the ones to take care of you in the best ways we know how, and to have you leave feeling better than when you arrived.
So next time your body or your mind tells you, “I could really use some time to reset,” understand that somewhere, your body and your mind are asking you to be still, and reconnect with yourself. And you can actually come out a better, stronger, clearer person if you take the time to give yourself what you need.
Besides, that To-Do List of yours will feel a lot more manageable when you do.
Find Your Bliss
Visit your local Frilly Lilly’s service menu to see what would bring you joy, empowerment, and balance today: Visit Us!
Not sure where to start? Visit our Instagram page to see what kind of beautiful things we can do for you! Scroll Us!